Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

Time travel

Killing Time - Della Van Hise

Not just in the book, but I also time traveled reading it. I have owned the German translation of this TOS novel for two decades, and I clearly remember it being one of my favourites.

It was interesting re-reading it (or rather, reading it in the original English for the first time), as it made it really obvious that even back then what drew me to Star Trek were the relationships, most notably the one between Kirk and Spock. Because that's what this novel is about - as the internet has informed me, it was actually quite notorious as being one of the "slashiest" pro novels. (Side note. I find this rather amusing, considering that I had no notion that something like slash (same-sex fanfiction) existed, being rather busy imagining myself as Spock's girlfriend. *g*)

Even without this, I still enjoyed this book very much. Some of the writing is a bit weak, tending towards drawn-out exposition, and the plot is necessarily somewhat timey-whimey, but I liked the characterisations and enjoyed the supporting cast. Generally speaking, especially for a novel focusing so much on the two male protagonists and their relationship, the women we do see are treated well. For example there's a nice scene with Chapel that, although short, manages to make her seem like a real person. There's a somewhat superfluous pon farr sub-plot and an overabundance of mind-melds, but I can totally forgive that, and only wish we'd have gotten more time with the Kirk of the other timeline, since his incredibly angsty backstory is only hinted at. (Like, what the heck was up with that murder charge?)

So yes, I consider the hours reading this well-spent indeed.