Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

A trip down memory lane...

Star Trek: Voyager: Full Circle - Kirsten Beyer

In light of Leonard Nimoy's passing last week I'd been cruising Youtube for Spock fanvids - and along the way I stumbled across a couple of Janeway/Chakotay vids. I only watched the first couple of seasons of Voyager, but theirs was one of the first pairings I looked up when I discovered online fandom, so it holds nostalgia.

I'd spoiled myself for the ending of the series, so I knew they never got it together (even worse, Chakotay was paired with Seven in what most fans seemed to deem a horrible mis-match), but today in a comment I read that apparently someone had written a novel (non-canon though it may be) that gave them some closure. So I did what people do these days, I googled it and was happy to find it on Scribd, which meant I could read it with their free trial - which I did this afternoon.

And while the novel clearly is meant to be read as part of an arc, with many important events only alluded to, I enjoyed it. The actual plot didn't really hook me (although wow, the stakes sure are high for the Federation, especially in the second half of the book - most of the action takes place off-stage), and I don't think I'll seek out the other novels, but the relationships worked rather well. The characters felt like old friends I hadn't seen in a long time, and it was lovely to see what had become of them, even if some things made me sad.