Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight

Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight - Linda Bacon I've had this book in my to-read shelf for a while, after reading about the HAES movement in various blogs. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but so far it lives up to my expectations. For me personally it's a bit "self-help-y", probably because its audience is mostly yo-yo dieters and other people really unhappy with their bodies. But I am looking forward to reading the details of Bacon's study and her arguments against our weight-obsessed culture, in which it still seems to be completely okay to judge people for their size (often in the guise of "concern trolling", i.e. "I'm only concerned with your weight for your health!").

Some personal background: I've gained quite a bit of weight in the last couple of years - however, I have no idea how much, because I haven't set foot on a scale in about 5 years. I did go on a diet to lose some kilos a few years ago, but not because of my weight but because I felt restricted by my own body, the weight having settled entirely on my legs. I definitely weigh much more now (all over - clothes don't lie) but as long as I feel good in my skin, I really don't see the need to change anything. Which is why I stopped caring about some random number.