Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

Haiti: The Tumultuous History - From Pearl of the Caribbean to Broken Nation

Haiti: The Tumultuous History - From Pearl of the Caribbean to Broken Nation - Philippe Girard Oh, my poor Ayiti Cheri - reading this comprehensive history of the nation, from its colonial past to its struggling present, made me want to cry several times. Girard explained many things I noticed during my two months volunteering and manages to do so very honestly but also with great affection and respect for Haiti's people.

When I try to tell people why Haiti is in such a bad state, that it's not as simple as saying "Slavery/Western imperialism/US interference did it", I always say that everything that can go wrong, usually does, and that it's mainly caused by the rich elite not caring one bit about the poor majority but only about their own power and money.

Despite all this, Girard has hopes for Haiti's future, that it will regain its status as "Pearl of the Caribbean" - I sincerely hope so, too!