Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

Kilts & Kraken

Kilts & Kraken - Cindy Spencer Pape I really enjoyed my introduction to what's a fairly typical steampunk world - except that there's magic, too. (Side-note: One cool thing is the casual mention of how bad the smog is in the cities - breathing-mask bad - I haven't read a lot of steampunk yet where the environmental effects of coal-powered technology are mentioned.)

I enjoyed all the characters, thought the plot was fairly intense, and would have given this 4 stars if the main character hadn't suddenly changed her mind about something fairly important (as in, her goal in life). Okay, without it, there wouldn't have been a HEA, and I did like the way the main romantic relationship played out, but still...

I guess I'm saying that I would have loved for this to be more than a novella, because as far as I'm aware the otehr Gaslight novels focus on characters secondary in this story - and I really liked Geneva, a strong-minded female doctor, and am sad that she got such short shrift, in a way. I will definitely check out the other books of the series, though!