Bookish for life

Anthropology graduate, anglophile, social justice activist, chocoholic, traveler and book lover from the German-speaking part of Switzerland, currently working in the renewable energy sector. Books have been my passion since before I could read.

Considering using this as a replacement for my Goodreads account, where I've been keeping track of what I read (audiobooks included). You can find a record of the dead-tree books I own on LibraryThing. As of now I haven't imported those yet.

Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages

Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages - Guy Deutscher I only did 2 semesters of (German) linguistics at uni and sometimes I do wish I'd kept it as a minor instead of literature. This is a really interesting look at language and its relationship with thoughts/the way we see the world, using three examples: colours, gender and direction. My ebook was missing the illustrations, which was a pity, but I found the different historical theories leading up to up-to-date research well-explained even without them.

Side-note: the author is bilingual, having grown-up with Hebrew as a first language, putting him into the same position that I'm in (native German speaker but fluent in English), so I especially enjoyed it when he used the disparity between his two languages.